How to Install Drivers for the HP4050N Network Printer
- Insert the CD labelled "HP Laserjet 4050 monochrome
printers". (Be careful not to confuse this with the "User
Documentation" CD for the printer which is stored in the same
- Click the "Start" button, and select "Run".
- Enter D:"setup.exe" and press return, or click "OK". Where D:
is the drive letter of the CD-ROM.
- A "Welcome" dialog box is displayed. Click "Next".
- You will now be advised to close any other running
applications. Confirm that there are none running, and click
- You will now be shown the licence agreement. Click
- You will be asked if you want to install from the CD or the
Internet. The Internet offers the very latest drivers, so select
"Perform Internet Install", and click "Next"
- The Internet Connection will be made.
- You will be asked which type of installation you want to
perform. Select "Custom Installation", and click "Next".
- You are now asked what printer you have. Select "HP 4050N",
and click "Next".
- You will now be asked how the printer is connected. Select
"Connected directly to a network", and click "Next".
- You are now invited to create a port for the network printer
(as opposed and in addition to the port to which the local
printer is connected, which is LPT1:). Click "Create Port".
- You will be advised that an additional component is required,
so click "OK".
- You will now be returned to the Jet Direct Connection dialog
box, and the Network printer port will already be highlighted for
you, so click "Next".
- You will now have an opportunity to select which options you
would like to have installed. For ordinary user computers, do not
add or remove any items. However, if you are installing the
drivers on an printer-administrator's (technician's) computer,
you should select the "HP Resource Manager" and "HP JetAdmin"
options. When you have made your choices, click Next.
- The installation process will now take place. This takes
about ten minutes, and can be left running, so you can leave the
computer unattended during this phase.
- The Setup Complete dialog should appear, at the end of the
installation process. Click "Restart".
- There will be a pause while the desktop refreshes itself,
then the computer will restart.
- When the computer has restarted, it will automatically run
the setup program for you.
- A window will be displayed showing the components which have
been added to the start menu. Close this window to reveal the
installation program's window underneath.
- You will see a "Welcome Back" dialog box. Click "Next".
- You will see a "Add HP JetDirect Port Wizard" dialog box.
Select "Custom Setup" and click "Next".
- You will now be asked which sort of network you have. Select
"IPX/SPX Protocol" and "Hardware Address". The hardware address
value is shown on the JetDirect configuration page, which can be
printed by the printer. In the hardware address box, enter the
value of the printer's LAN Hardware Identity (the value for the
4050N printer is 001083563F56). Click "Next".
- You will be asked to enter the password for access to the
printer. Enter it and click "OK".
- You will have an opportunity to select the printer port, so
confirm that the correct port is selected (for the 4050N, this is
PSY_PCLAB), and click"Next".
- You will be invited to change the password, but ignore this
and click "Finish".
- The computer should report that the port PSY_PCLAB was
created successfully. Click OK.
- The printer installation should be reported as a success by
the computer now. Click Exit.
- You should note that this installation will make the network
printer the DEFAULT printer. If you want the local printer to be
the default, then go to Control Panel | Printers, and right-click
on the printer you want as the default, and select "Set as
Content last updated: 2003-09-23